Wolf Point Herald

First Presbyterian Church Celebrates Centennial In November

First Presbyterian Church in Wolf Point will celebrate its centennial, Sunday, Nov. 23, with a coffee hour at 4 p.m. The annual Wolf Point Ministerial Association communitywide Thanksgiving service will follow at 5 p.m.
The church will present historical facts about the church during services the first three Sundays in November.
The first Protestant community church built in Wolf Point became First Presbyterian Church in 1914.
The 133-year Presbyterian history on the Fort Peck Indian Reservation began with Rev. George Wood working with the Native American population in 1881 and establishing a mission day school for children in 1883 on the north bank of the Missouri River, about three-quarters of a mile from present-day Wolf Point.
In 1910, Rev. D.E. Evans became the Presbyterian pastor at Poplar and held services in Wolf Point until the fall of 1913.
In May 1914, seminary student F.A. Kirker of Chicago, Ill., came to Wolf Point and held services during the summer in a school and in the Glacier Theater.
At that time, with the arrival of homesteaders, a new Wolf Point was being build at the present town site, away from the original site at the riverbank.
It was also in 1914 that the first Protestant church building was completed at Custer Street and Fourth Avenue South with a $2,000 loan from the Presbyterian Board of National Missions and an additional $1,500. It was first called the Union Church and soon after First Presbyterian, when the Lutherans and Methodists built their own churches in Wolf Point.
The 1914 church building fell into disrepair some 70 years after it was built and was torn down in 1986. The current building was built soon after on the same property.
Now, about 28 years later, the church holds Sunday services at 11 a.m.